Thanks for visiting my little blog, Please note that this is my online diary, thoughts & feelings expressed on this blog are mine & mine alone. I hope that you will take the time to comment & tell me what you think about the things that I write. If you do not wish to know what I am thinking in my tiny little head then please do not read on, but I will not apoloize for my spelling (although I'm trying to be better!) or my posts!

Thanks for stopping by,
Princess Steph

Monday, March 3, 2008

Chronic Daily Headaches

I know that I have written about headaches and migraines before, but never quite in the terms that the NY Times Migraine - Perspective on a Headache Blog has helped me to articulate and accept more readily.

Everyday I wake up with a headache. I have a headache everyday. Not "often" not "usually", but EVERYDAY. It is a rare and odd day that I don't. I have come to terms with this just being part of who I am. I am exhausted by it. It causes me not to sleep well, to be grumpy, to look like hell on a lot of days, but it is who I am.

Some things that have helped, have been the inclusion of a morning routine involving an icepack. I wake up about 15 minutes before I have to function, grab two ice packs from my freezer and crawl back into beg with one on my neck, one on my forehead and my sleep mask on. It is very sexy, I must say. I listen to the news for 15 minutes and decide whether or not I need some non-migraine, drugs (Advil Migraine, Alleve, Migraine Excedrin, Tension Excedrin, ecetera) I also decide whether I need Pepto Bismal to make it through the first few hours of the day. It is just so attractive this little routine of mine. Is it any wonder that I am alone????

Anyway, I am writing this to let others know that they are not alone. I get it. I understand when you tell your doctor that you have had a headache for 15 years and they look at you like you are crazy, when you want to cry because you are so done with it. I get it. I share the same darkness in your eyes that no one is sure why it is there. I understand the parent, friend, acquaintance who says to you as you sip on a glass of red wine "do you really think you should be drinking that? I thought that you got migraines?" and you respond "I have a headache all the time, what the HELL does it matter if I get some joy out of this little glass (or bottle, no ones judging) and it just continues on the headache tomorrow?" I am sending you hugs from a fellow headache sufferer.

I also have regular migraines, which are a whole different post for a whole different day......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your ice pack routine. I think I'll give it a try. My husband is so used to my crazy headache-prevention rituals I know he won't even bat an eye.

Anonymous said...

I am on Topamax (which is just now being prescribed for migraines.) Changed. my. life. That is all I can say. Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails