Thanks for visiting my little blog, Please note that this is my online diary, thoughts & feelings expressed on this blog are mine & mine alone. I hope that you will take the time to comment & tell me what you think about the things that I write. If you do not wish to know what I am thinking in my tiny little head then please do not read on, but I will not apoloize for my spelling (although I'm trying to be better!) or my posts!

Thanks for stopping by,
Princess Steph

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Terrible skin = new drug entering my life - Spironolactone

I have had enough of having terrible skin on my chin. I have been struggling with Rosacea for 10 years now and have tried all the usual suspects: tetracyclone, creams, facials, peels, lasers, homeopathic treatments, you name it I have tried it. I seem to have it under control over the last little while.

What has started over the last 2-3 years is terrible acne on my chin and very reactive skin. When I wash or apply cream to my face, or for that matter touch it, it goes bright red. It is so reactive. Just awful. No amount of foundation helps it from being red, but I can deal with it. What is so bad is the amount of hormonal acne that I have had lately. I don't know if it is because I am getting older or if it is because I am on all of these meds that are throwing things out of line. Who the hell knows.

Anyway, I have an excellent dermatologist who has been encouraging me to go on Spironolactone. It is a secondary use for the drug that is usually used to treat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. Apparently it is all about altering the hormones which is what I need. The thing that is scary is the list of side effects:

More common side effects:
nausea and vomiting
stomach cramps and diarrhea

Less common side effects:
breast tenderness (women)
clumsiness
decreased sexual ability
dizziness
deepening of voice (women)
enlargement of breasts (men)
headache
inability to have or keep an erection
increased hair growth (women)
irregular menstrual periods
sweating

Signs of too little sodium:
drowsiness
dry mouth
increased thirst
lack of energy

Lovely, just lovely. I have to do it. Acne/bad skin is an amazing thing. It affects everything about a person. I don't feel like leaving the house, my face is awful, no amount of makeup, product will help. Granted this is not even have as bad, or a tenth as bad as others that I have seen but currently the 3 large welts on my face are disgusting and enough to want to make me where a paper bag over my head!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails