i know that i am so lucky to have a job still in these times, so many people have been laid off, fired without sererence, not treated well, ecetera and to just have a job in the industry that i work in is a big deal.
3 weeks ago, i thought i was being fired. i had had the initial conversation with the Senior VP at my firm and we had chatted about how i only wanted to work in the city in which i lived, and how this was important to me. how i also understood that part of the understanding of not working in the ciry where we live is that if there is not work, then i would get severence. i was sure of it.
10 days later the phone rang, it was my CEO. The CEO of my firm is a good friend, a mentor and someone that i truly adore as a friend. she asked me to go to winnipeg for a client. winnipeg is a 2 1/2 hour flight from where i live. it is a small city. it is far from friends and family. it is not my home. but she asked me to go, she needed me to go. so i made the lists, the pro's and con's lists and here are the shortened biggest pro's and con's:
- it's employment: there are currently no senior level jobs in my field in Toronto. I have been watching
- it is only for 6-7 months over the winter
- it is working with an interesting client and with a senior level volunteers and a couple of very senior level canadians that will look excellent on my resumee
- it is no where near where i live, where my friends and family are, where my life is. need i say more?
- i don't deal well with change like this, especially not now. i can barely make my life work when i don't have significant change at the moment.
- i finally feel that i have been making some movement towards making parts of my life work. i've gone on a few dates, i've made a whole new group of friends, i am making steps forward to making changes
change and i are not friends and this is so evident in this move. i need this to be easy. i need this to work. i need it to be a thing that works for me. i just don't know how to take the first step. i can't take the first step. i am frozen 100 meters behind the starting blocks.....