Thanks for visiting my little blog, Please note that this is my online diary, thoughts & feelings expressed on this blog are mine & mine alone. I hope that you will take the time to comment & tell me what you think about the things that I write. If you do not wish to know what I am thinking in my tiny little head then please do not read on, but I will not apoloize for my spelling (although I'm trying to be better!) or my posts!

Thanks for stopping by,
Princess Steph

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Furniture Shopping/IKEA - a single girls flipping nightmare

It is rare that I have one of those moments when I feel that being single impedes me from being able to do anything that I want to do in my life. As I have written previously, I am probably too independent. I have no problem eating in a restaurant, going to a movie, shopping, basically doing anything on my own. I also have to say that I find some enjoyment in it. I enjoy feeling that I can do those things with confidence and no premonitions on my own. The one thing I find really hard to do on my own is by furniture.

Whether it is in Restoration Hardware or Ikea, it is inevitable that there are tons of very happy couples, shopping for there lives together. They look at the coffee table (that I wish that I could afford) and giggle together about how great it will look in their new living room, others are found happily ogling beds that will adorn their marital bliss, while others still have wives showing husbands throw pillows as he jokingly rolls his eyes. It is not that I am not envious of the things that they are buying, but more the process of them buying something together. Deciding on something for their lives together - for their future together.

Tonight I popped into IKEA to pick up 2 sets of drawers that were on sale and it hit me like a ton of bricks, just how single I am. Not only was I in there alone at 8:30 on a Friday night, but I was also trying to lug 2 very heavy boxes onto a cart, pay for them load them into my car - on my own. There were plenty of men around and not one of them even contemplated offering to help me as I struggled to lift one of the boxes and dropped it on the floor, or when my cart was stolen and there were no others. I wanted to cry. The humiliation did not end there, heaven forbid. Getting the boxes into my car was an adventure. Of course at IKEA you can't take the cart to your car, you have to bring your car to the store and load up. As a single woman, I ask you who is going to watch my flipping cart full of already paid for stuff while I go get my car????? Ohhh and when I do get my car and back it up, don't worry any of you 4 IKEA employees watching me, I'm sure I'll manage loading these boxes into my car without breaking my other ankle or my back!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! What an awful experience! It's amazing how one 40 minute jaunt can diminish all of my self esteem!

Sorry for ranting. I had to get it out!

Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails