Thanks for visiting my little blog, Please note that this is my online diary, thoughts & feelings expressed on this blog are mine & mine alone. I hope that you will take the time to comment & tell me what you think about the things that I write. If you do not wish to know what I am thinking in my tiny little head then please do not read on, but I will not apoloize for my spelling (although I'm trying to be better!) or my posts!

Thanks for stopping by,
Princess Steph

Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Theory on living a healthy life with Bipolar Disorder

I have developed a bit of a theory about bipolar disorder and what I think is the "cure" to managing my illness so that I at least feel healthy and can live day to day.  It involves primarily the reduction of stress, to as low as possible, but then five key factors/pillars:

  • sleep - Get enough sleep every night 
  • eat - Eat a balanced diet
  • exercise - Exercise everyday or at least try and get some time outside walking everyday
  • medication - Take my meds everyday, no excuses
  • socialize - Talk to other people, see other people, do anything with other people
Seems simple enough, but they all have to work together to make it work.  I've talked about my "theory" in my group sessions and we all seem to be on the same page, it's just the execution of the whole thing.  The hardest is the over arching of the reduction of stress.  The second thing that is that if one of the 5 things starts to slip, then all of them start to fall apart.  If I don't get enough sleep, then I don't exercise, I don't feel like socializing, I don't eat well.......Trying to keep everything working is really the challenge to my managing my mental illness.

Currently I'm not doing well, but even writing this post is reminding me that 2 handfuls of almonds and a non-fat venti latte does not a breakfast and lunch make.  I can't remember the last time I had a hard workout, and even though I had a really social weekend last weekend, I haven't done anything social this week.  The pillars are crumbling around me, and I am not doing well.  What I do know is that I will try and build them back up bit by bit and bit by bit I will start to feel better.  At least that is the theory....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails