Thanks for visiting my little blog, Please note that this is my online diary, thoughts & feelings expressed on this blog are mine & mine alone. I hope that you will take the time to comment & tell me what you think about the things that I write. If you do not wish to know what I am thinking in my tiny little head then please do not read on, but I will not apoloize for my spelling (although I'm trying to be better!) or my posts!

Thanks for stopping by,
Princess Steph

Friday, November 28, 2008

Thoughts on Consumption

At this time of year i always get anxious, no angry, about the amount of consumption occurring around me. Today is the biggest shopping day of the year in the states. Stores open in the middle of the night so that people can buy t.v.'s they can't afford, toys their kids don't need and shoes that they shouldn't be buying. I understand the need to shop. I love to shop, I love to spend money. I get it.

What I am having a hard time with is the equation of the spending and the state of the economy. Maybe everyone is just in denial. I don't know. Do they not get it? Do they not understand that they are walking a fine line to disaster? I don't know.

I also have a problem in my own family with Christmas morning. I have come to really loath it. We need nothing in my house. We have everything and more in my family. We all buy what we need when we need it or want it. If I want a sweater, I buy it, if I need socks I buy them. No longer do I need a new wool hat and underwear. It just seems like so much unnecessary purchasing and consuming. I wish that we would agree to not do it. I could really get into buying for another underprivileged family or something like that.

Those are just some of my thoughts on today, the biggest shopping day of the year in the United States of America.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails